Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Deputy Director of Legislative Drafting, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING
REPORTS TO : DIRECTOR OF LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING
SUPERVISES : LEGISLATIVE DRAFTER III, II, I
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 19
- RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works under the direction and reports to the Director of Legislative Drafting in the supervision of the Legislative Drafters in the Legislative Drafting Unit and in performing duties and tasks.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General, and the Permanent Secretary on matters related to work.
- DUTIES AND TASKS
- Drafts complex Bills and Statutory Instruments.
- Vets Bills and Statutory Instruments prepared by the Legislative Drafters in the Legislative Drafting Unit.
- Interprets legislation.
- Participates in the revision of the legislation in Saint Lucia and makes recommendations for change.
- Attends meetings with various Ministries or other appropriate body on issues dealing with the drafting of new laws and amendments to existing law.
- Attends sitting of the House of Assembly and advises the Attorney General on matters related to Bills before the House.
- Represents the Legislative Drafting Unit at local, regional and international workshops, conferences, seminars to participate in discussions relating to proposed legislation.
- Supervises Legislative Drafters in the Legislative Drafting Unit.
- Maintains a status of work report.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Legislation Drafting, Attorney General and the Permanent Secretary.
- Functions in scheduled travelling post and receives basic travelling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the performance of duties. Suitable office accommodation provided.
- Salary and leave are in accordance with the terms stipulated in the Estimates of Expenditure, Collective Agreements, Terms and Conditions of Employment and as specified by law.
- Institutional support is provided through Public Service Regulations, legislation and Agency guidelines.
- Opportunities exist for career and personal development.
- This post is non-pensionable.
- EVALUATION METHODS
Work performed will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
- Demonstrated supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills.
- Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
- Attendance at internal and external meetings, and other official activities as required.
- Compliance with and responsiveness to supervision.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Compliance with Agency guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the laws/statutes of Saint Lucia.
- Considerable knowledge of Legislative Drafting principles and practice.
- Familiarization with the standard operating procedures contained in the Unit’s Operations Manual.
- Considerable knowledge of and the ability to interpret legislation, Public Service Rules and Regulations and Operating Procedures, Staff Orders and Collective Agreements.
- Considerable knowledge of different systems of law, types of legislation, sources of law and their relationship to one another
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and machinery of Government.
- Considerable analytical and reasoning skills.
- Considerable ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Considerable ability to work as part of a team.
- Considerable ability to work in highly stressful situations.
- Considerable management and supervisory skills.
- Considerable motivational, advisory and coaching skills
- Considerable computer skills.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Qualifications and skills must include the following:
- A Bachelor of Laws Degree;
- A Legal Education Certificate or equivalent qualification to practice law in Saint Lucia;
- A Master of Laws Degree in Legislative Drafting;
- At least seven (7) years’ Legislative Drafting experience with supervisory responsibilities.
- SALARY AND ALLOWANCESBasic salary is at the rate of EC$103,194.00 per annum plus the following allowances per annum:
Legal Allowance $24,000.00
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Monday, 6th August 2018.
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.