Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Crown Counsel II, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : CROWN COUNSEL II
REPORTS TO : SOLICITOR GENERAL
SUPERVISES : SECRETARY IV, III, II, I
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 16
- RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of professional efficient and ethical legal services to the Government of Saint Lucia in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil Legislation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting on contracts and other agreements.
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Solicitor General.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General, Permanent Secretary and Solicitor General on matters related to work.
- DUTIES AND TASKS
- Appears and represents the Government of Saint Lucia in the District Court and the High Court in Constitutional and other civil legal proceedings.
- Appears in appeals in disciplinary matters involving members of the Public Service.
- Prepares legal documents to be filed in civil matters.
- Provides legal advice to all Government Departments and Ministries.
- Reviews, vets and approves documents for Marriage Licences and Alien Licenses applications.
- Prepares petitions and escheat of vacant lands.
- Prepares and vets Deeds, Contracts and Agreements to which Government is a party.
- Represents the Office of Attorney General on various statutory boards and committees.
- Prepares regular reports on work in progress.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time within the scope of responsibility.
- Functions in scheduled travelling post and receives basic travelling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the performance of duties.
- Suitable office accommodation provided.
- Salary and leave are in accordance with the terms stipulated in the Estimates of Expenditure, Collective Agreements and Terms and Conditions of Employment.
- Institutional support is provided through Civil Service Regulations, legislation and Agency guidelines.
- Opportunities exist for career and personal development.
- The post is non-pensionable.
- EVALUATION METHODS
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
- Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
- Attend and participate in internal and external meetings, and other official activities as required.
- Compliance with and responsiveness to supervision.
- Compliance with Chambers’ guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Professionalism and decorum.
- SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- A sound working knowledge of the Laws of Saint Lucia.
- A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Legislation, Civil Service Rules and Regulations, Collective Agreement etc.
- Working knowledge of the Court Procedures
- Sound knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
- Sound knowledge of government procedures and practices.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Self motivated and proven ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to plan and organize work and prepare concise reports.
- Ability to analyze issues, make interpretations and sound recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCEA Bachelor’s Degree in Law and a Legal Education Certificate or equivalent qualification recognized to practice law in Saint Lucia plus three (3) years’ legal experience at Grade 15.
- SALARY AND ALLOWANCESBasic salary is at the rate of EC$69,665.52 per annum plus the following allowances per annum:
Legal Allowance $18,000.00
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Monday, 6th August 2018.
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to email@example.com. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.